CLAMDiggers: December’s Literacy Enrichment Collection
The manner of giving is worth more than the gift. ~P. Corneille
The hustle and bustle of December is a month filled with festive memories ~ past, present & future, delicious & fragrant aromas~ inside & outside, exciting possibilities ~ every day & to come, and multiple celebrations of traditions~ old & new. In my opinion ~ ’tis not a Day, but a Season!
CLAMDiggers’ December Literacy Enrichment Collection includes six of these events:
- Remembering an Early American Christmas
- Including the Gifts of Nature with Oh! Christmas Tree!
- Exploring the Mysteries of Santa and His Reindeer
- Recognizing the Traditions of Hanukkah
- Discovering the Principles of Kwanzaa
- Celebrating the New Year to come
Each and Every Unit of the Literacy Enrichment Collection
The Components of each Unit include:
- colorful Front & Back covers
- a Contents list
- an Introduction Sequence
- a Master Materials List
- a Thematic Literature List of fiction& nonfiction trade books
- an overall Lesson Plan
- Projects/Activities with Construction Instructions written on an Independent Reading Level for Grades 3 ~ 6
Ready, Set and Go!
Preparation for each of these units can be done by following this sequence:
- Read over the Materials & Tools needed for each project in the Master Materials List ~ a component included with each Unit.
- Gather the Materials & Tools together specific for each Activity ~ card-stock, printing paper, scissors, glue, pencil, colors, etc.
- Protect your work space with a plastic, washable tablecloth, newspaper, or butcher paper ~ the latter invites doodling & checklists.
- Read all the steps included in the Sequence part of the Instructions provided for each Project/Activity BEFORE beginning.
- Keep a copy of these Construction Instructions close by, so you can re-read as you create.
- Clean up your work space when you have completed what you wanted to do.
What Is the CLAMDiggers’ Literacy Enrichment Program?
Click on this link for more information on CLAMDiggers’ Literacy Enrichment Program:
Read on for more Details on each Unit, but, first, take a look at December’s Poetry Posters to provide each Unit with a little focus.
CLAMDiggers’ December Poetry for the Literacy Enrichment Collection
During my years in the classroom, I discovered the best way to focus my students’ attention for new content was a choral read of thematic poetry written with colorful images.
December’s seven poems are printed onto seven thematic 8 ½ x 11″ images you can enlarge if needed. The font sizes are large as well.
You can access this PDF freebie in Mz. Bizzy Lizzy Biz’s TPT Shop by clicking on this link:
An Early American Christmas
Small cheer and great welcome makes a merry feast. ~William Shakespeare
Week One of CLAMDiggers: December’s Literacy Enrichment Collection is a 35-page unit entitled An Early American Christmas. It contains the following Projects/Activities:
- Merry Christmas, America ! : A Melting Pot Match Game of Our Traditions
- A Frontier Christmas Memory: A Nine-Page Mini-Storybook with a Vocabulary Challenge
- Quilted Star Ornament: A Template with Construction Instructions
- Family Coupon Book: Template Covers, Inserts & Coupon Ideas
General Supply List: card-stock, printing paper, binding, wallpaper, decorative papers, fabric scraps, craft paper, construction paper, ribbons, buttons, colors, glue, stapler, scissors, hole punch, O-ring
You can access the An Early American Christmas unit by clicking on the link below:
Oh! Christmas Tree!
The whole world is a Christmas Tree; And stars its many candles be. ~H. Blodgett
Week Two of CLAMDiggers: December’s Literacy Enrichment Collection is a 31-page unit entitled Oh! Christmas Tree!. It contains the following Projects/Activities:
- A Trio of Trees: Templates for a 3-D Sculpture
- A Pair of Pine-Cone Presents: Ornaments & Trees
- Nature’s Decorations: A Gathering Guide
- Seasons Greetings, Nature: Bird Feeders & Menu Ideas
General Supply List: card-stock, printing paper, decorative papers, binding, plant clippers, gathering container, pine-cones, beads, paintbrush, bird foods, scissors, tacky glue, glue stick, glitz, pencil, colors
You can access the Oh! Christmas Tree! unit by clicking on the link below:
Santa and His Reindeer
There seems to be magic in the very name of Christmas. ~Charles Dickens
Week Three of CLAMDiggers: December’s Literacy Enrichment Collection is a 33-page unit entitled Santa and His Reindeer. It contains the following Projects/Activities:
- Santa’s Reindeer Flight Plan: A 7-Page Booklet with Fill-In Info
- Just For Fun!: Color & Cut-Out Santa & His Reindeer Wreath
- Reindeer Gift Bag: Template & Construction Instructions
- Real Reindeer: A True/False Game
General Supply List: card-stock, printing paper, binding, pencil, colors, glitz, ribbon, scissors, glue, hole-punch, O-ring, stapler, heavy tape, Web access, reference books
You can access the Santa and His Reindeer unit by clicking on the link below:
A candle is a small thing; but one candle can light another. ~Moeshe Davis
Week Four of CLAMDiggers: December’s Literacy Enrichment Collection is a 18-page unit entitled Hanukkah. It contains the following Projects/Activities:
- Star of David Ornament: Template with Construction Instructions
- Lotsa Latkes with Applesauce & Some Matzo Ball Soup, Too!: Ingredients & Cookware List with Recipes
- Hanukkah Memories Mini Fold -Up Book: Template with Diagram
General Supply List: card-stock, printing paper, construction paper, glitter, ribbon, recipe ingredients, pencil, colors, scissors, stapler
You can access the Hanukkah unit by clicking on the link below:
If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. ~African Proverb
Week Five of CLAMDiggers: December’s Literacy Enrichment Collection is a 15-page unit entitled Kwanzaa.. It contains the following Projects/Activities:
- A Harvest Bowl of Principles: Construction Instructions for A Poster with Image & Text Templates
- Make A Mkeka: Construction Instructions
General Supply List: card-stock, printing paper, construction paper, black marker, ruler, scissors, glue, framing materials, hole-punch, raffia, laminant or clear contact paper
You can access the Kwanzaa unit by clicking on the link below:
The New Year
There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind. ~C.S. Lewis
The final week of CLAMDiggers: December’s Literacy Enrichment Collection is a 15-page unit entitled New Year. It contains the following Projects/Activities:
- The Best & Worst of Last Year: A Memories Book with A Best/Worst Choice List
- New Year Wishes Basket: Construction Instructions with Wish Ideas
General Supply List: card-stock, printing paper, binding, pencil, colors, paper plates, paper scraps, glitz, ribbon, scissors, glue, hole-punch
You can access the New Year unit by clicking on the link below:
How About a Bundle ?!?
You can access CLAMDiggers’ December Literacy Enrichment Collection units individually or as a 6-Unit bundle for your convenience & savings. Just click on the link below:
AND….as an added appreciation bonus…..
Here are two PDF freebies to thank you for reading!
Questions? Concerns? Shares?
Just fill in the Contact Me form below. You will NOT be subscribing.
Otherwise, fill in the BLB Exclusive form as a FREE subscriber!