CLAMDIGGERS: January’s Literacy Enrichment Collection
The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. ~ Lao-tse
Quiet reflection and future plans fill the wintry month of January.
Observing Nature’s wonders in Winter as well as honoring the Civil Rights Movement are part of this month’s unit interactive studies.
Opportunities for creative expressions in art, science, math, social studies, and writing are included in January’s activities.
Each and Every Unit of the Literacy Enrichment Collection
The Components of each Unit include:
- colorful Front & Back covers
- a Contents list
- an Introduction Sequence
- a Master Materials List
- a Thematic Literature List of fiction& nonfiction trade books
- an overall Lesson Plan
- Projects/Activities with Construction Instructions written on an Independent Reading Level for Grades 3 ~ 6
Ready, Set and Go!
Preparation for each of these units can be done by following this sequence:
- Read over the Materials & Tools needed for each project in the Master Materials List ~ a component included with each Unit.
- Gather the Materials & Tools together specific for each Activity ~ card-stock, printing paper, scissors, glue, pencil, colors, etc.
- Protect your work space with a plastic, washable tablecloth, newspaper, or butcher paper ~ the latter invites doodling & checklists.
- Read all the steps included in the Sequence part of the Instructions provided for each Project/Activity BEFORE beginning.
- Keep a copy of these Construction Instructions close by, so you can re-read as you create.
- Clean up your work space when you have completed what you wanted to do.
What Is the CLAMDiggers’ Literacy Enrichment Program?
Click on this link for more information on CLAMDiggers’ Literacy Enrichment Program:
Read on for more Details on each Unit, but, first, take a look at January’s Poetry Posters to provide each Unit with a little focus.
CLAMDiggers’ December Poetry for the Literacy Enrichment Collection
During my years in the classroom, I discovered the best way to focus my students’ attention for new content was a choral read of thematic poetry written with colorful images.
January’s five poems are printed onto five thematic 8 ½ x 11″ images you can enlarge if needed. The font sizes are large as well.
You can access this PDF freebie in Mz. Bizzy Lizzy Biz’s TPT Shop by clicking on this link:
Nature In Winter
The most beautiful adventures are not those we go to seek. ~ Robert Louis Stevenson
Week One of CLAMDiggers: January’s Literacy Enrichment Collection is a 17-page unit entitled Nature In Winter. It contains the following Projects/Activities:
- Feed The Birds: Bird Feeder Projects
- Nature~Watchers’ Winter Journal: Plant & Animal Observations
General Supply List: birdseed, bread, cranberries, peanut butter, twine, pinecone, 2Lplastic bottle, dowel, cord, cardstock, printer paper, pencil, colors, binding materials
You can access the Nature In Winter unit by clicking on the link below:
Snowflakes and People…No 2 R Alike! ~ BLB
Week Two of CLAMDiggers: January’s Literacy Enrichment Collection is an 18-page unit entitled SNOW!. It contains the following Projects/Activities:
- Snowscape Painting: Multi-Media & Texture-Based Designs
- Let It Snow!: Making 6-Point Snowflakes
General Supply List: cardstock, printer paper, foam-core, colored papers, decorative snow, glitz, glue, paints, brushes, pencil, colors, hangers (ribbon, yarn, etc)
You can access the SNOW! unit by clicking on the link below:
Every act of love is a work of peace, no matter how small.~ Mother Teresa
Week Three of CLAMDiggers: January’s Literacy Enrichment Collection is a 15-page unit entitled Civil Rights. It contains the following Projects/Activities:
- World Peace Flag: Construction Instructions with People & Map Templates
- “I Have A Dream” Sequence Hanger: Construction Instructions with Cloud Sequence Templates
General Supply List: card-stock, construction paper, dowel, colors, ribbon, hole-punch glue, scissors
You can access the Civil Rights unit by clicking on the link below:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes. ~ Sara Teasdale
Week Four of CLAMDiggers: January’s Literacy Enrichment Collection is a 19-page unit entitled Hibernation. It contains the following Projects/Activities:
- Hibernation Landcape: Winter Landscape with Its Hibernating Animals
- Stuff A Pita: Recipes & A How-To Writing Form with Organizer
General Supply List: card-stock, printing paper, construction paper, cotton balls, recipe ingredients, pencil, colors, scissors, glue
You can access the Hibernation unit by clicking on the link below:
How About a Bundle ?!?
You can access CLAMDiggers’ January Literacy Enrichment Collection units individually or as a 4-Unit bundle for your convenience & savings. Just click on the link below:
AND….as an added appreciation bonus…..
Here are two PDF freebies to thank you for reading!
Questions? Concerns? Shares?
Just fill in the Contact Me form below. You will NOT be subscribing.
Otherwise, fill in the BLB Exclusive form as a FREE subscriber!