SCHOOL IN SUMMER!?! WHAT A BUMMER!!!
If your youngster(s) need a little boost in Reading & Writing this Summer, keep reading for LOTS of Resources, Product Units & Freebies.
Your Home-School efforts just got a little easier !
Some of these activities may appear to be too “primary” for your “older” child, but using them as a review can pave the way for the more difficult tasks ahead in the coming school year. Being successful during one learning session can be a stepping stone for taking a risk into the “unknown”. Building a strong “primary” foundation is an effective strategy for helping your child to meet the coming grade’s expectations.
I’ve divided the Resources, Units & Freebies into 3 categories:
- tips & suggestions for an effective Home-School Environment;
- strategies & activities to improve Reading comprehension, word recognition & vocabulary;
- grammatical reminders & composition strategies to include during Written Expression.
Summer School Can Be FUN?!?!
Believe it or not ~ Summer School can be fun! You can make it happen that way by adding informal activities throughout the day:
- making lists
- telling/writing stories
- drawing pictures from the written words and/or writing words to describe pictures
- playing word games – orally & written
- writing letters & notes to loved ones
- creating cards
- making helpful posters
- taking turns reading favorite stories
- writing plays, songs, poetry, jokes, etc.
- retelling favorite events & writing them down
- using interactive journals
You can do many of these activities while:
- taking a walk
- running errands
- sitting & waiting for an appointment
- eating meals
- playing at the park
- going on a picnic
- doing chores together
- resting & reading/writing
How Will I Know If My Child Is Learning?
One more suggestion~ it’s a BIG one and VERY effective~
You be the student while your child is the TEACHER.
This situation will let you know what your child really knows and what still needs to be taught. Ask questions you know (hope) your youngster can answer accurately BEFORE asking questions you think are still unanswerable.. .so far.
Then, ask “How can I find the answer? What do I need to do?” You might be surprised to hear an accurate answer to those questions.
Hopefully, this Educational Home Environment resource will give you some effective & engaging ideas for your Home-School Summer School.
Let me hear from you with questions, concerns, comments.
Please share them by filling in the Contact Me form below. You will NOT be subscribing. I look forward to hearing from you & will try to respond as soon as possible.
However, if you wish to be a FREE subscriber to the BLB Exclusive for more tips, ideas, strategies, updates & more, please fill in the form below.